Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 365...So, it's been a year!

Time.  It has a way of doing so much. It is with the passage of time that we develop comfort, understanding, clarity, routine and peace.  The Greek statesman, Pericles, said, "Time is the wisest counsellor of all."  I agree.  
Our time here in New York has consisted of 365 days.  


August 2011 was a trying month for me.  My daughter became a camp counselor and my son attended the summer camp, so they were beginning to meet people and develop relationships.   My family from Illinois had been here to visit and then returned.  I felt like they had left me here on "another planet."  With the exception of my husband and children, everything else I knew had changed.  


I envisioned myself on the edge of a cliff, legs dangling, fingertips slipping.  I was losing my grip.  I was falling.
My husband thought it would be a good idea for me to return "home" for a week or so.  He thought it would do me good to experience some familiarity.  
I refused to go.  He couldn't understand my decision.  Finally, in all honesty, I said, "I'm not going home, because if I do, I won't return to NY."


I began to pray...a lot.  I begged God to help me.  I knew I was in trouble.  I was lonely.  I felt desperate.  Even so, I knew I had to get out of the house and explore.  I had to meet people, learn my way around, and figure out exactly what I was made of.  
I wanted this to work. 


I believe in prayer.  I know it works.  I know people were placed in to my life, strategically, to guide me through my transition.  I am extremely social by nature, so having people in my life is crucial.  


Every person I met, even though he or she didn't realize it, enabled me to dig my nails into the cliff and regain my grip.  I was no longer dangling off the edge.  Eventually, I felt myself nervously sitting on the cliff.  Then, I began to relax.  Finally, I was standing on the cliff and actually enjoying the view!


Six months into our move I went back to Illinois for an eleven day visit.  It was wonderful and rejuvenating.  I cherished every second of it.  After the eleven days, I returned home...to New York.  I didn't question it.  I didn't wonder whether or not I could do it.  I felt confident and content.


I continued to meet people and learn, grow, and explore.  I have watched my husband and children do the same.  It has blessed me beyond words.  My family is strong and able to adapt to change of circumstance and surroundings.  


I am so proud of us, as a family...not at all in a boastful way.  It is with complete humility that I say that.  This year has been successful due to our faith in God, the love and support of family and friends, and the love and commitment that we have to each other.


The first year is over!  Some days it seems like only yesterday that we packed up and moved here, and other days it seems as if New York has always been our home.  
TIme has a way of doing that.


All fear is gone.  There is no time in this glorious life for fear.


Thefab4 will be celebrating this past year, every good time, and every bad time, with dinner and a Yankees game.  


As for my blog, well, I guess it's no longer a blog about moving across the country.  It'll be about life as we all know it.  Some parts are fabulous, and some are cruel.  Some parts bring uncontrollable tears, and other bring laughter that literally hurts.  
That is life for each and every one of us.
We're all in it together.  


It's good to be home.










2 comments:

  1. *love* I'm proud of you for opening your life to a major change and following God's path. It is very difficult, but very rewarding. You better stay in NY, because I want to visit you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! You have certainly helped me along the way. Come and visit anytime!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete